Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ed Brill

Ed Brill

Ed Brill was a guest speaker in our class in week 3. I’ll have to say that he really impressed me. The introduction about him definitely made me respect his work. Having a blog that represents IBM is really impressive. His reader base instantly gives credence to his work.

One very interesting thing that he expressed was that technology is changing so rapidly, that whatever we learn today (for a purely technical perspective) will likely be out of date in a couple of years. I definitely believe this, but also think that the foundations that we learn and the way we learn are well worth the time. If we never learned anything because we were afraid that it would be out of date, then we would be in the wrong field. Changing technology is one of the most fascinating aspects of IT for me.

At the end of class after Ed had left, it was said that Ed has a very limited scope on his knowledge. I don’t know if I really believe that. Ed seemed to have great insight on where IT is going from my view. Sure, he focuses on Lotus Notes daily, but he talked about how technology is evolving and gave great insight.

Ed is probably my favorite guest speaker in a class. I do wonder if Lotus Notes is a “legacy” system, but the new version he showed us was much better than the older version my company used to use (we are now completely on Outlook). It will be interesting to see how Lotus is marketed in the future.

1 comment:

Ed Brill said...

Thank you for this insight. I am not sure what was meant by "limited" in my scope? I do not focus on the entire IT industry, only on collaboration and KM. And Professor Burns asked me to speak about Notes/Domino, but also to talk about the industry. I could certainly have spent much more time on industry but I did want to cover the product that invented this market space.

Thanks for your feedback.