Monday, April 7, 2008

Hello IS 456

Hello, IS 456!

This is my first blog and an introduction to who I am and my experience with Knowledge Management.

My name is Tony Pyatt. I am an IS graduate student taking my last class for my master's degree, Knowledge Management Systems. I am taking the online option for the course with mixed feelings. This is my first online course and enjoying attending class in-person. However, I have a very busy spring and will miss several classes; thus taking the online section.

My background in Knowledge Management dates back to around the year 2000 when I started a job with Accenture. They have/had an extensive knowledge management network based on a Lotus Notes database. I have long since left Accenture, but at the time I used it from 2000 to 2001, it was very helpful to me to find documents that other consultants have published.

Currently, I work for a bank and extensively use SharePoint for all projects. It stores most all project related information and documents. I am not sure that we always get the full benefits that SharePoint could provide, but it is much better than repositories that we used years ago. One of the major benefits that I like about SharePoint is the document sharing and checkout. The thing I most dislike is that it is often difficult to find what I'm looking for. Persons almost need to know where to look to find something. Search capabilities are good as long as you know what your looking for.

I will be posting weekly posts per course requirements on my thoughts on the articles presented. Hopefully I can make this blog fun to read while learning.

No comments: